Welcome to a fun collaboration with Jennifer of A Well Styled Life and Pam of over50feeling40. We desire for all of us… the fabulous women over 50 …to look and feel our best each and every day. After years of blogging for this audience, we have heard from so many of you about your discouragement and despondency when you look in the mirror every morning. But, we both know just how transformative style can be, and hope to encourage you right here each week. We want to see all of us empowered with strength, joy, and confidence.
When I spoke to a ladies group recently, someone asked, “How do you dress to feel youthful?” This is such a big question with a long answer. The answer is individual for each woman…just as the answer to “what is frumpy?” is very individual. It is not an answer which includes buy this garment…buy these shoes…wear this makeup…because, what helps me feel younger…may make you feel older. So, here is how I feel youthful and vibrant…..
HOW DO I DRESS MY ATTITUDE TO FEEL YOUTHFUL?
Feeling youthful for me begins with my attitude every day! I can be old, ridge, and grumpy or I can chose to be joyful, open, and youthful. What works for me?
1. I work in an industry packed with creative young people. I consider them my peers. Teaching high school before I re-entered the professional communications world, helped me to accept the best in the younger generations. They are fun and mostly enjoy life.
2. I do not take myself too seriously…but laugh a lot at myself and the world around me. A sense of humor is key.
3. So, I smile a lot! Smiles are the best accessories to wear.
4. I am always a student of advancements in the world, while I also appreciate the heritage of the past. Being in a constant state of learning will help us to stay young.
5. I take one day at a time, and choose to live it to its fullest....getting out keeps us young!
HOW DO I DRESS ME?
Once I am wearing my smile, I am ready to put on a fun look and face whatever is on my calendar for the day. In order to do this successfully and feel confident and youthful, I must understand me…what do I want my clothing to say about me…what are my best colors…what styles do I like. Here is what I have learned which helps me to feel youthful…
1. Clothes which help me feel youthful have a great fit. No matter my size, I dress it to look its best.
2. Clothes which help me feel youthful are mostly neutrals. There are many prints which make me feel older. I know them and avoid them. It will help to have your own list and to spend some time asking yourself questions in front of a dressing room mirror. You will not see me in polka dots…they make me feel older…not sure why, that is just how it is. But, the print today...I really love. It has such a nice artistic flair to it.
3. Clothes which help me feel youthful are current. This is how I discovered my love for skinny pants. I feel youthful in them and you will not see me in palazzo pants…which make me feel old! This does not mean I shop in stores or departments targeted for 20-somethings…but, I will try something new which I believe is age appropriate. I do not wear many trends, but I will try them on and see what I think. For some reason, lace makes me feel older unless it is a simple lace detail.
4. Clothes which help me feel youthful are clothes sending the messages: I am strong, savvy, creative, joyful, and confident! When I see that in the mirror, I am ready to leave with a spring in my step and young at heart.
A smile is such an important accessory to wear if you desire to feel youthful. That means wearing fashions which help you to feel confident and put a smile on your face.
SOFT SURROUNDINGS is one of the places I find those fashions. You can get the information on today's style below...this sheer top is perfect to look great and stay cool in the heat...and summer is finally beginning on Monday!!
Have a wonderful week, all
Disclaimer: I was sent merchandise for this post, but the words are my own.