|Kendi often wears a necklace which says DREAM BIGGER in braille.|
For blogging “rock star” Kendi, it was! With right at 14,000 followers on her blog and a successful boutique in the Dallas area, Kendi’s klout is now off the charts. But, she still speaks with the humility and childlike vision of the little girl who began to set up stores as a child. “I believe passionately that everyone has a path that they need to find and follow it. As a little girl I had a desire to run a store…I owned a donut shop and a clothing store. My mom let me use whatever was around. Years, later, I always went back to this. I would doodle in college and dream about boutiques,” she said to the auditorium filled with women of all ages hoping to follow a similar path.
|Humble and Humorous...she is a pleasure to listen to!|
A path which began to crystallize when she started a blog and dragged her husband outside to snap photos every day. “From this, I took a close look at my closet and that led to the 30 for 30 challenge which really made my blog,” she said. As her audience grew, she would work diligently to monetize the blog, quit her day job, and finally open her store seven months ago….with real garments and not toys.
|From her website, Kendi's dream: to open a retail store front with pieces that fit perfectly in the closet of the every day woman. A place where you can find unique pieces to add to your wardrobe that make it feel like you."|
|Kendi's husband and family members listened from the front row!|
|The auditorium filled in preparation for her speech.|
She spoke of many life lessons learned at her young age:
1. Learning to ask in a strong voice WHAT IF I DON’T TRY?; instead of, in the weak voice, WHAT IF I FAIL?
2. If I jump, I will land…it may be on my face and not my feet…but I will land.
3. Why don’t we talk more about DREAM BIGGER? We learn that risks are foolish…but Steve Jobs said, “Stay Hungry, Stay foolish!”
4. Listen to yourself and not anyone who would discourage you from taking your own path.
5. Blogging is not your purpose…you have a much greater purpose. It is just a blog, but nothing without you and your perspective. Let the blog drive your purpose. You can make it whatever you want it to be…what will you make it?
The little girl with the donut shop has grown up and is now the stylish young woman business owner. The opportunities are endless for those who dare to DREAM BIGGER.
|Blogger and new author, Elissa Stern, finished some work before the speech.|
This is the first picture I have seen of me moderating the
panel. It is number 10 on Kristina's post!
How many reading are dreaming bigger these days??