|No, No Don't wear that!!!|
I began to experiment with fashion in my teens. In looking back, I think it angered, and hurt, my mother that I no longer desired to wear her handmade clothes. I wanted store bought and I wanted to be creative. If I had only understood her connection between self-worth and the sewing machine; and she had understood my desire to be individual and trendy, we might have faced less tears and ugliness.
“That looks like trying to and can’t” was the line I heard over and over again as I walked out of my room. No encouragement. No suggestions. Just disdain. Unfortunately, even at age 58, she is the voice in my head.
Though I have written I now dress for me...FINALLY... there are several mornings I will meet mom in my closet, and those inevitably are the days, I spend the most time struggling with a look. Standing in front of the mirror, I immediately hear….THAT LOOKS LIKE TRYING TO AND CAN’T. What’s interesting is that even now, I will feel rebelliousness creeping up my spine. First thoughts are often, well I am going to wear this anyway! Then I will process, WHY?, If it looks like trying to and can’t! At that moment, I feel the self-inflicted wounds of doubt….oh, who cares, you can’t do this…your blog is a joke…blah,blah,blah! All the old emotions come flooding in. But, fortunately, I am now a bit more mature.
|Cape: Stein Mart|
Skirt: Lane Bryant
GAP T Shirt: $1 at Goodwill
|Necklace: Serendipity Clothing SA|
Bracelet: Lane Bryant
Does anyone else ever struggle with the mother in your head??
|Spanx Tights: Nordstroms|
Liz Claiborne Booties: Marshalls
|Trying to and .....CAN!|
I am so honored to once again have a post selected for IFB's Links a la Mode!! Check out the great blogs on the list:
Links For Your Holidays!
Edited by: Collette Osuna of Statements in Fashion
At the risk of sounding like a Christmas song, isn’t this the most wonderful time of the year?
I love hearing all the Holiday music playing in the stores! Trees are getting trimmed, gifts are being purchased, and people for the most part, haven’t forgotten the true meaning of the season. I’m taking some time over the next few weeks to re-vamp my closet, bake up some Holiday goodies, and make some new memories with my family and friends. However you may be spending the Holidays, be safe and keep the ones you love near to your heart. I will see you in the New Year!
THE IFB WEEKLY ROUNDUP: LINKS À LA MODE: DECEMBER 8TH
- Acquaallegoria: December dressing: How to rock a festively fug-a-licious jacket
- Ambassador of Fashion: Village Style: Thrifting in NYC
- Arash Mazinani: A guide for those wanting to buy clothes as gifts for Christmas this year.
- Boyish Chic: Home decor gift ideas for the boyish chic fashionista in your life!
- Coming Unstitched: How to be a really cute snow bunny.
- Ethical Fashion Blog: Ethical outfit competition winners - some very stylish and sustainable ladies
- Fact This Blog is Awesome: Quick Under Eye Circle makeup tutorial
- Fashion is Evolution: How I made a belt from an old Dior keychain I never used
- High Point Shoulder: How to dress comfortably & warm in the winter and still be chic
- In Her Glam: Style inspiration from Ashley Davenport, Victoria Grayson's assistant on ABC's hit drama Revenge
- Joyful Outfits: How to wear a denim shirt in the winter
- Little Miss Makeup: How to do wedding makeup the modern way
- Over 50 Feeling 40: Beginning to Process how bloggers can make a difference for small businesses
- Pandippo: Killer heels and a necklace stolen from my mom
- Pippa Holliday: Get out of bed hair - Bed Head
- Statements in Fashion: Our Christmas Home
- Synthetic Elegance: Illustrated holiday gift guide
- The Dapper Bun: Outfit Of The Day: Decorating the Christmas Tree
- The Frugalista Diaries: DIY Jeweled Collared Sweater
- The Style Confessions: Three inexpensive yet glamorous red lipsticks from the drugstore
New at Shopbop: Boots, Ella Moss, Cardigans, Pants, Jackets, Wallets, Swimwear, Cut 25, Free People, WGACA, Sauce, Satchels & Tote Bags.
PLEASE READ IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE
If you would like to submit your link for next week’s Links à la Mode, please register first, then post your links HERE. The HTML code for this week will be found in the Links a la Mode group will be published later today. ~Jennine